Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My Favorite Restaurant

Guest Post:

Thanks to Marion Watkins

Last week, my family took me out for my 40th birthday. It was a surprise so after we set the security alarms systems before leaving the house, they placed a blindfold on me and drove me to the restaurant. The blindfold remained on until I got inside. I could tell immediately from the smells where I was. The smoky smell of meat and charcoal permeated the entire area. I was sitting at the Rendezvous, my favorite barbecue joint in the whole world. They are world famous for their dry rubbed pork ribs and pulled pork sandwiches. The restaurant doesn't look like much. After following a dark and narrow alley off of a busy street downtown, you descend into what looks like a cave. The walls are stained with charcoal and smoke and the ceilings and floors look greasy. It really looks like you're descending into the underworld with all the smoke around, but once the amazing aromas of roasted meat hits your nose, you know you're in for a little slice of heaven. Luckily it was a weeknight because the place is usually packed with people lining out of the door, a sure sign that the food inside is good. We were seated quickly and greeted by our server, Jen. She took good care of us that night and had our food out promptly. She was even in on the surprise and brought out a slice of cake with a huge candle on it at the end of the meal. Leaving full and content after spending a great night with friends and family, I'm not sure I've ever had a better birthday,

No comments: