Friday, October 22, 2010

Using our DVR for School Purposes

Authored by Leandro Delgado

As a home schooling mom, I am always looking for ways to supplement the curriculum I use with my children. Thanks to our satellite TV DVR that we got after comaring "directv versus cable companies", this is easier than it has ever been. I can record programs for them to watch that coordinate with what they are studying in school and we watch them when it is convenient. If we are studying Christopher Columbus in two weeks and a program comes on discussing his explorations, I just record it. When we get into the meat of the curriculum, we will take a morning and watch that instead of using the school books. It works perfectly for us.

When my children show an interest in a topic, I try to include that in their curriculum also. To expose them to a wide variety of topics, I will often record educational programs with the DVR. When we finish our school work early, we sit down and view one of these programs together. As a result, my son has developed an interest in aerospace technology and my youngest daughter has shown an interest in landscape design. We are now studying both in school. Without my DVR, this may not have been possible. The more my kids are exposed to, the more they learn. My DVR makes this happen.

"I have been paid for this guest post."

No comments: