Friday, October 24, 2008

The Doctors


It's no secret that I deal with migraines. I have had them quite frequently. I am one that thinks I need to plug on and continue through my day if at all possible. Due to this fact, most times I will suffer more then I would need too. I have doctored and found that laying down and sleeping is the best way to combat these terrible headaches and when I don't, they often worsen through out the day. My daughter, who also suffers, was telling me about a show "The Doctors" that she had been watching. On this show they were talking about headaches. Dr. Lisa said that there are five types: Sinus, cluster, tension, migraine and hormonal. She explained that headaches are more common in women then men due to hormonal changes. Migraines often affect one side of the head and are relieved by sleep. They then had Dr. Ordon explain the new technique of Botox injections. The injections are growing in popularity for treatment of migraines. It is injected into the sensory nerves that send pain impulses to the brain. They then demonstrated this technique on a 30 year old women and it seemed to help her.
They are also coming out with what they call the Headache Zapper. It is a hand held machine that is placed at the back of the head and sends a magnetic pulse to help block off the onset of a migraine. It must be administered to a person that can sense an aura. Research is showing that one zap can keep the doctor away. Since I don't get an aura or warning of any kind before getting a migraine, this machine would not work for me. The botox injections may be a new and upcoming thing. I'll have to keep watching it's progress. But, for now I need to learn to take care of me. I am trying to talk to myself and say, stay home, go to bed and then hopefully feel better quicker then I usually do. I feel for all of you out there that suffer with migraines.

No comments: