Friday, March 14, 2008

Oysters!

Gulf oysters are a favorite for many today. I can't remember exactly when I first tried an oyster, but I know that I was fairly young. It gave that added flavor to the homemade soup that my mother had prepared. People are usually looking for quality, taste, and convenience when it comes to oysters. At BeOysterAware.com you can find out a lot about oysters and the post-harvest process to help protect those "at risk" customers. There are three types of treatment in the post-harvest treatment. 1. An individual quick-freezing 2. A low heat or heat-cool pasteurization 3. A high-hydrostatic pressure. Freezing of the oysters can lengthen the shelf life of the oysters. The Heat-cool pasteurization is a process of the oysters being put in warm water for a time and then soaked in cool water and drip dried. High pressure process is where the oysters are cleaned, washed, sorted and graded. They are then often banded and placed in stainless steel cylinders and pressurized. These techniques are in development to protect the public. Enjoy your oysters, I know I will.

No comments: